Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Can You Name Seven Types of Berries?

I was once given the advice “never date someone who is already a friend.” Although I appreciate that person trying to be helpful, I can honestly say that it was one of the worst pieces of advice I have ever received. My wife is my best friend, and was long before we started dating. We met at the beginning of our sophomore year and spent a great deal of our time together. I honestly think we would have dated for most of our college experience had it not been for my inability to take a hint. Yes, it took me over two years to finally realize that I had already met the love of my life. Once we started dating it took me just four months to pop the question; how’s that for making up lost time? We tied the knot on June 30th 2012 and I can honestly say that Stephanie is still my best friend.

This past weekend Stephanie and I had the chance to fly back east to see family for a few days. She is from Pennsylvania and I am from Ohio. Our first stop was at my parents’ house for a day and then we made the six-hour drive to her parents’ house. We took the more scenic route for two reasons. First of all, we much prefer seeing the smaller towns and rolling hills instead of freeways. The second reason is that, being a Cleveland Browns fan; I try to avoid going through Pittsburgh at all costs.


About forty miles in to Pennsylvania we spotted a billboard that simply said, “Can you name seven types of berries?” Before we knew it we had spent a half an hour trying to come up with as many different berries as we could. I tried to use Google, but Stephanie explained that I was cheating. Twenty miles later we spotted another billboard asking “Can you name five types of apples.” We nearly drove ourselves crazy before finally allowing “red” and “green” to count as viable answers.


As we were finishing up our final leg of the trip I started thinking about the worst advice I had ever received. “Never date someone who is already a friend.” My wife is my best friend. I enjoy every moment that we spend together and, although I’m sure I get on her nerves from time to time, I can’t imagine life without her. I married my best friend and I highly recommend it!

- Sam

Ps. Can you name seven types of berries?

4 comments:

  1. Blueberries, blackberries, raspberry, strawberry, elderberry

    PS my husband and I were a quick courtship too, practically strangers when we got married, but we have become best friends for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May you be able to say after over 30 years of marriage that you are married to your best friend. I am and our life together has been a bowl full of berries... strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, blackberries, raspberries.... sometimes super sweet, sometimes a little tart,, but ALWAYS wonderful!!!

      Delete
  2. I'm from Oregon; took me less than a minute and I have handpicked almost all of them at one point or another, some in the wild. I have your time in the friend zone beat by about a decade. I met my husband in grade school and had a serious crush on him from 12 or so on. He simply never seemed to want to get my hints. When I was 19 and he was 21 I found out he had enlisted in the military and thought, that's it, I'm going to make the first move, only to be told that I was more like a little sister. About two years later I realized that I still wasn't over him even though our current level of contact was extremely sporadic and only through email, so I took some time and sent off a friendly letter, trying not to be too obvious but just desperately wanting to get some word of mine into his hands. He told me later that at this point I sneaked into his brain and wouldn't get out. A few months later he came home on leave and asked if we could start dating and it was like the pieces of a puzzle just clicked together. We married a year later. It would've been sooner, but he had a nine-month tour in Iraq that got in the way (so if you count the time we actually spent together we dated really for less than three months). There were very few surprises when we finally did tie the knot and I still count him as the one major "I told you so" moment in my life, basically to everyone who ever told me I should give up and move on.

    ReplyDelete